Academic Minor in Communication Studies
The Communication Studies Department offers a 28-unit minor for students who desire a supplemental academic program that documents competency in Communication Studies. Minor certification involves 12 units of required coursework, 4 units of restricted elective coursework, and 12 units of elective coursework (of which 8 units must be at the 300-400 level).
Students who choose to complete the Communication Studies minor should schedule a preliminary conference with the minor advisor. Following initial consultation, the student must complete and sign the Communication Studies Minor Agreement Form, which also requires the signature of the minor advisor and the department chair.
Minor Requirements Summary
- COMS 212 Interpersonal Communication
- COMS 311 Communication Theory
- COMS 322 Persuasion
- COMS 330 Classical Rhetorical Theory or COMS 331 Contemporary Rhetoric
- 12 units of advisor approved elective Communication Studies coursework (from list), of which at least 8 units must be at 300-400 level
Information, Minor Form and Instructions
Minor Advisor Contact Information
- Dr. Jnan Blau
- Faculty Offices North 47-36P